No one envisaged the tragedy that has befallen us. As self-isolation has become the reality of our world, millions of people have had to rethink the how’s of making this experience bearable.
You must have watched at least one show you’ve been meaning to or read that book that has been collecting dust on your nightstand for months; you’re up to two walks a day, just to feel some forward motion. The sense of going stir crazy is starting to set in. Music has always helped to kick it up a notch and break up the monotony of the quarantine experience.
We are grateful that while it’s not safe to leave our homes during this period, a lot of musicians are taking the opportunity to create new music and entertain the masses the best way they can in this time of social distancing.
With the ease of the lockdown, our man team had a quick chat with Orezi (under sterile conditions) a renowned Nigeria musical artist who just released his new single tagged ’Your Body ft Teni’
Below are answers to our 20 questions with orezi.
1. What is your full name?
My name is Esegine Orezi Allen.
2. What first got you into music?
My passion got me into music. More so I had a friend that could sing, hearing him sing all the time helped grow my passion.
3. How would you describe the music that you typically create?
Hmm, I will say it as a unique blend of dance hall and afrobeat [ Afro dancehall]
4. What song are you currently obsessed with?
I’m currently obsessed with a song I just made with my boys: Tizi, Ferrari and Freezyayo titled [ LATELY ]
5. What is your creative process like?
Most times I write my songs when am alone, travelling and my creative process varies. Sometimes I come with the hook and melodies in my head and other times, I hear a beat and come up with the vibe.
6. How do you react to criticism?
I react objectively. I take everything in, either good or bad. I just believe every opinion should be heard and considered.
7. What is the biggest misconception about you?
The biggest misconception about me is; most people think Orezi is a nickname whilst it’s my birth name.
8. Who would you most like to collaborate with?
I most likely would want to collaborate with Rihanna.
9. If you could go open a show for any artist who would it be?
It definitely will be Rihanna (laughing out loud). I would love to open for Rihanna.
10. Where have you performed? What are your favourite and least favourite venues? Do you have any upcoming shows?
I have performed in a lot of places, a lot of countries in Africa, America, UAE and a lot of countries in Europe too. My favourite venue is Dubai and my least favourite hmm that will be when I went to Nysc camp show somewhere in Oyo state.
Right now no upcoming shows oo, Corona is the one performing all the shows now (laughing out loud)
11. What is your favourite song to perform?
My favourite song to perform to is “call the police “
12. Which famous musicians do you admire?
In Nigeria, I admire Tuface and wizkid
13. How do you feel the Internet has impacted the music business?
The internet has impacted music in both ways. these days streaming makes a lot of revenue for Artists also it has aided the promotion of music. A song can blow up just from a post on Instagram unlike before that you will have to print CDs and manually go sale your music, these days you can be a millionaire artist without going through the manual process.
14. If you could change anything about the industry, what would it be?
I would change a lot of things but can’t think of one right now.
15. Do you sing in the shower? What songs?
Yes, I sing In the shower, I sing to Chris brown – with you.
Rihanna – man down.
Omah lay – you
16. What is the most useless talent you have?
The most useless talent I have is to sit on the floor with my legs in reverse
17. What would you be doing right now, if it wasn’t for your music career?
If I weren’t in music, I will be practising Landscape architecture or tourism
18. What is the best advice you’ve been given?
The Best advice I have been Given is “ procrastination is the killer of time “ Do it as at when due, don’t always over calculate and delay for no reason, don’t always wait till lights are green before you make your move
19. What’s next for you?
Drop a classic world album, then maybe marry the woman of my dreams.
20. What is one message you would give to your fans?
Keep believing in Orezi, keep supporting and always put God first.